Prayer Convocation


I’m still processing what happened today at our doorstep. I can’t sleep. Toronto is grieving the loss of ten precious lives (15 others seriously injured) after today’s attack in our beautiful city. 10 minutes before the attack, my daughter Rebeca and her boyfriend Joshua, were parking our car a few meters away from the crime scene. Several victims were Seneca College students where my daughter Priscila also studies. The 25 year old man who committed this terrible crime lives in Richmond Hill, the community we call home. As people of the Way, how should we respond? 
First, we ought to pray for those who have been deeply affected by this tragedy. “But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted; you consider their grief and take it in hand. The victims commit themselves to you; you are the helper of the fatherless.” Psalm 10:14
We also need to pray for ourselves as we reflect and grieve as members of a community that suffers with those who suffer. “Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief.” Psalm 31:9
As people of the Way this is a time to show readiness and redeem any God-given opportunity to love, encourage and bless the needy. This is a time for us, the Church of the Living God, to arise and declare the faithful presence of Jesus among the broken-hearted. We must embrace and, if appropriate, bring a word of comfort to those who are fearful or perplexed, those who are providing care to the victims, and mostly, by being careful with any comment or attitude that does not reflect the Spirit of Jesus. “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Colossians 4:5-6
Finally, I want to encourage all of those from the Way of Jesus, to continue to be instruments of Hope and Shalom, by proclaiming and demonstrating the Gospel of Jesus, in Richmond Hill and in the GTA. “We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.” 2 Corinthians 5:20 
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-13

Comments

Popular Posts